Sunday, May 21, 2006

Singapore

During my last full day in Australia the Robs and I did various things. One thing which stood out in my mind was the wonderful walk through a park called the Briars; and my looking round and suddenly seeing the most enormous Koala in a tree above!

On Saturday on the way to the airport enjoyed views from the waterfront from Williamstown. Robyn and I found a place where we sat and enjoyed drinking hot chillie chocolate!

Sunday 21st May
Got here (Singapore) at last!! I say 'at last' as there was a dreadful delay in the flight. Instead of a pleasant afternoon trip over Australia starting at 3.30pm and arriving comfortably in the evening, we (the passengers) had to wait until 9.50pm before taking off. Got to my hotel room at 4.30am - bit of a waste of valuable time! Nevermind - it is lovely to be here in lush tropical steam. Had a late breakfast of something fishy with noodles (delicious) instead of the European usual.

I have just been outside into the steamy rain - no need for an umbrella or a mac as everyone rushes from shop to shop under cover. Even if you did get wet you'd soon dry out in the wonderful heat.

Well... it is midday and I am now waiting for cousin M. in the foyer of the the Hotel Pheonix as arranged.

Later
Always reconfirm arrangements made! My day somewhat wasted by the fact my mobile phone isn't operating here (in Cork I had been assured all would be OK) and that Cousin M decided on another venue. He said go down to Harbourfront. (I can receive messages but not reply to them.)
This meant I had to get to grips with the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) system - the underground railway. However it is clean and easy to use. The Harbourfront sounded rather nice but turns out to be yet another shopping mall - the whole of Singapore is full of shopping malls where ever you go. No sign of cousin M. No way can you get to the water's edge at the Harbourfront.
I decide to go on to Raffles Hotel (via MRT.) Raffles Hotel - under that lovely colonial architecture there lurks even more shopping mall culture (apparently it is now American owned. I wander around rather vacantly and observe a wedding party in one of the gardens.

Taxi then to Robertson Quay Hotel to prise out one hidden cousin who had come all the way to Singapore to coincide with my being here! We decided we'd both had an odd sort of day!

Tonight we dine together at the Hotel Phoenix - a rather tasty Malaysian buffet, lots of fruit and vegetable and fish. (I'd been given two vouchers towards the cost of this meal.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home